Great fish curry recipe, thick, and aromatic addictive.
Time: 30 mins.
5 garlic cloves
2 green chilies, halved lengthwise
1 onion, medium
2 ¼ cups water
¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seed
3 tablespoons fish curry powder
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
3 tablespoons dried tamarind
17 ounces grouper or black pomfret, trevally
1 stalk curry leaf
2 tomatoes, medium, cut into wedges
½ cup coconut milk
10 okras, remove the stalk ends
4 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
- Form a curry powder paste by mixing the curry powder with approximately 4 tablespoons of water, set aside.
- Process onion and garlic together in a spice blender until you get a smooth paste like consistency; feel free to add a small amount of oil, if required, set aside.
- Soak the tamarind pulp for 5 minutes in 2 cups of water and then, squeeze and strain to get the juice.
- Now, over moderate heat in your wide saucepan; heat the oil and add in the fenugreek, mustard seeds, curry leaves and cumin.
- Fry for a couple of seconds, until mustard seeds begin to pop and then add in the onion-garlic paste. Decrease the heat to low and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to turn brown and smells fragrant.
- Add curry and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until dry and oil begins to separate, over low heat.
- Add in the tamarind juice and bring everything together to a boil.
- Add okras and fish, chilies, coconut milk, tomatoes and salt.
- Let gently simmer for 10 minutes, until the okras and fish are cooked through. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Originally posted 2021-05-08 22:52:06.