A sweet, savory, fragrantly spiced Indonesian dish. Very easy to make.
Time: 2 hrs. 35 mins.
11 ounces green prawns, peeled, deveined and chopped roughly
1 carrot, peeled, chopped finely
2 cups white long-grain rice, rinsed
1 brown onion, sliced thinly
¼ cup peanut oil
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
¼ small Chinese cabbage, shredded finely
1 teaspoon sambal olek
3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 chicken breast fillet, small, chopped
3 green onions, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon shrimp paste
2 ½ tablespoons kecap manis
¼ cup fried shallots
Red chilies, thinly sliced to serve
- Prepare the rice as per the directions mentioned on the package until just tender, for a couple of minutes; drain well.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large-sized baking tray; fluff well. Set aside at room temperature and let cool until easy to handle.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, for 2 hours.
- Combine the kecap manis together with sweet chili sauce and soy sauce in a clean, large jug; set aside.
- Now, over high heat in a large wok; heat a teaspoon of oil; swirl to coat the bottom of the wok completely.
- Add ¼ of the beaten egg; swirl a thin omelet form. Cook until the eggs are set, for half a minute.
- Slide onto a clean, cutting board.
- Work in batches and repeat these steps with the leftover egg and oil until you get 4 omelets.
- Roll the omelets up and slice them thinly crossways.
- Heat the leftover tablespoons of oil over high heat in the wok.
- Add sambal oelek together with brown onion, garlic, carrot and shrimp paste.
- Stir-fry until aromatic, for a minute.
- Add in the chicken; quickly stir-fry until sealed, for a minute or two.
- Add in the prawns and quickly stir-fry until the prawns turn pink, for 2 more minutes.
- Add soy mixture, rice, cabbage and green onions.
- Stir-fry until the rice is heated through, for 3 to 4 more minutes.
- Toss through half of the sliced omelets and spoon the nasi goreng over the serving plates.
- Top with the leftover sliced omelet and sprinkle with the fried shallots.
19. Serve immediately with some sliced chilies and enjoy.
Originally posted 2020-05-08 22:33:45.