Penang Hokkien Mee
With this recipe you can make a delicious, authentic pot of noodle soup with prawns.
Time: 3 hrs. 50 mins.
1 large bag of shrimp shells and heads
Salt to taste
1 ½ pounds pork ribs, cut into pieces
2-3 pieces rock sugar or to taste
15 cups water
10 shallots, peeled
30 dried chilies, deseeded and soaked until softens
1 pound yellow noodles, scalded
1 pack rice vermicelli, scalded
5 garlic cloves, peeled
Some water convolvulus or kangkong, scalded
6 tablespoons cooking oil
Some bean sprouts, scalded
2 tablespoons water
6 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and quartered
½ pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
Some store-bought fried shallot crisps
½ pound lean pork meat, boiled and thinly sliced
- Using a mini food processor; blend the entire chili paste ingredients together until well blended and finely grounded.
- Now, over moderate heat in a large wok; heat the cooking oil.
- Add in your chili paste and stir fry for 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a clean dish and set aside.
- Next, add a small amount of oil more to the same wok (don’t wash it) and cook the shrimp toppings.
- Add a small amount of chili paste, salt and sugar.
- Pan-fry the shrimp for 2 minutes, until burned slightly.
- Dish up; set aside at room temperature and let cool until easy to handle then slice into halves.
- Add water into a pot and bring it to a bowl over moderate heat.
- Add the entire shrimp shell and heads; decrease the heat to low and let simmer for 2 or more hours.
- Strain and transfer into a separate pot; discarding the prawn shells and heads.
- Scoop up and discard the orange “foam” that appears on the top.
- Finally, bring the stock back to a boil and add half of the prepared chili paste.
- Add the pork ribs and continue boiling the stock until the meat is thoroughly cooked, for 1 ½ hour, over low heat.
- Add the rock sugar, fish sauce and salt to taste.
- Place some of the rice vermicelli, yellow noodles, bean sprouts and water convolvulus in a large bowl. Ladle the hot stock on top and add some pork ribs pieces.
- Top with sliced shrimp, meat slices, egg quarters and sprinkle shallot crisps over the top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Originally posted 2021-05-08 22:36:09.