Sweet Potato Mantou
This delightful Sweet Potato Mantou is soft, pillow, fluffy and steamed to perfection.
Time: 1 hr. 15 mins.
½ tablespoon yeast
½ teaspoon sugar
⅓ warm water
For Potato Mantou:
1 cup Hong Kong flour, Chinese bao flour or cake flour
⅓ cup yam or sweet potato
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons oil
A pinch of salt
- Combine yeast together with warm water and sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix until thoroughly combined; set aside until foamy, for several minutes.
- Steam the sweet potato or yam until soft, discarding the water. Mash the potato until you get a puree like consistency using a spoon.
- Add the potato puree with the yeast mixture and the entire remaining ingredients; mix on low speed using your stand mixer, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the stand mixer and let rest for 45 minutes, cover it with the damp cloth
- Dust some flour over the surface and evenly divide the dough into three portions.
- Make a log from each portion and flatten the dough to a rectangle shape using a rolling pin.
- Using your hand or a pastry brush; wet slightly on the surface of the dough.
- Tightly roll it up into a log; cutting the dough roughly in mantou shape into 4 or 5 pieces and place them on 2×2” steaming paper or baking sheets.
- Repeat these steps for the leftover portions. Bring the steamer to a boil; work in batches and steam the mantou for 12 to 15 minutes.
Originally posted 2020-05-08 22:15:43.